2014 is already shaping up to be a strong year for US E-Commerce, with revenue up 11% over Q1 last year, and orders up 13% over the same period last year.
This update is based on The Custora Pulse‘s latest US E-Commerce data, tracking e-commerce transactions from over 100 US retailers and 70 million shoppers.
Mobile e-commerce continues its strong growth in 2014, increasing its share of the total e-commerce pie by 35% over the first quarter of 2013: From 13.7% to 18.5% of total orders. This includes purchases made on both mobile phones (8.2% of total) and tablets (10.3% of total).
Search Drives Over 40% of US E-Commerce
Almost a quarter (24%) of e-commerce orders in Q1 2014 originated in organic search queries, and a fifth (20%) originated in paid search ads (SEM or CPC). In total, Search – free and paid – drove almost 44% of all e-commerce transactions in the first quarter of the year.
Within search, Google has a big impact on e-commerce as it remains the most popular source for both free and paid search (with almost three quarters of paid search spend), and Android has become the most common mobile platform in the US.
Furthermore, Google is looking to become a bigger force in the e-commerce world on its own. In line with these goals it has launched its own e-commerce initiatives in the past year — like Google Shopping Express (same day delivery in the Bay Area), the Google Glass one day sale on April 15, and a rumored retail shop in development a few blocks away from the Apple store in Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood.
Download the Full Report
For a full recap of the first quarter, download our 8-page report. It includes a breakdown of order and revenue growth by month, iOS vs Android share of e-commerce orders, and more.
Stay up to date on e-commerce trends
Sign up to the Custora Pulse to receive email updates for our monthly, holiday, and seasonal US e-commerce updates.
About Custora and how we can help
Custora provides a customer-centric marketing platform that helps e-commerce teams make customer acquisition and retention programs more profitable. Custora’s software uses advanced statistical models to identify distinct customer segments and predict how customers will behave in the future. This enables e-commerce companies to deliver more relevant and effective communications that promote long-term customer relationships. Custora is proud to work with some of the world’s leading e-commerce retailers, including Etsy, Backcountry, Guess?, Bonobos, Crocs, Wine.com, and One Kings Lane. If you’re interested in learning more about Custora, request a demo here.